Technical Support Analyst
Our software powers some of the largest ideas in Government, Commercial, and Non-Profit institutions in New Zealand, and our clients include Auckland Transport, Ministry of Education, Auckland Museum, Skinny, and NZ Post.
We are a technology partner, and believe continuous advances in technology allow us to utilise newer and better ways of solving problems for our clients and their users.
We question the status quo, and understand the need for constant evolution in the relentless pursuit of excellence. This drives our mission at Propellerhead.
Culture And Approach
We live and die by the quality of our team, and our company is made up of some of the brightest minds in New Zealand software development.
We believe great people shine when given the freedom to lead. Our approach is designed to produce maximum value by stepping out of the way and clearing roadblocks for our team. We take influence from Agile, Lean Startup, Design Thinking and Holacracy, and we build solutions in a series of small increments. Each iteration provides an opportunity for adaptation based on user behaviour and increasing insights.
Our teams are full of problem-solvers who happen to use code, and we put a premium on communication, collaboration, openness, and flexibility.
You will be a key member of the operations optimisation team who ensure the smooth running of our clients' software systems. You will use your strong technical analysis skills and work alongside software developers and DevOps engineers to institute a continuous improvement programme for each product under support. Your role will include:
- Triaging support issues in real time and quickly verifying the symptoms, impact and responsibility for further investigation.
- Monitoring the progress of support issues to ensure the team is meeting service level agreements with customers.
- Communicating incident status updates to customers.
- Helping the operations team and product development teams with system documentation and configuration and developing a deep understanding of the operations of multiple systems.
- Designing and implementing improvements for the visibility of system health alongside the operations team.
- Performing root cause analysis for system issues, including analysing server, network and application logs and monitoring tools.
- Running system tests or other procedures alongside development teams to verify any new software releases are production-ready and supportable.
- Ensuring the completion of incident reports and orchestrating input from developers, engineers and analysts as required, including ensuring improvements in testing and monitoring have been included to prevent incident repetition.
- Carrying out remedial procedures such as re-starting servers or services where this is part of known break-fix solutions.
Skills and experience
- Proven experience in systems analysis and technical support for 24 x 7 production environments.
- Familiarity with support ticketing software such as Zendesk and backlog management software such as JIRA.
- Familiarity with Linux shell and Windows command line or Powershell.
- Confidence in working with log files, including the use of simple tools to scan and find problems.
- Understanding of basic system architectures and principles of networking to be able to determine the presence of network nodes.
- Experience with system and application monitoring tools such as New Relic and built-in tools from cloud providers.
- Some familiarity with Azure or AWS (preferably both) would be an advantage.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, including confidence in conversing with technical and non-technical team members and customers.
- A passion for continuous improvement and proactively finding ways to help the team build systems that are robust and reliable.
- A curiosity for learning new technologies and techniques.
- Above all, a customer-first attitude that wants to ensure continuing value in the software systems we provide.
- Cutting-edge projects for some of New Zealand's brightest organisations
- Welcoming, friendly, equal opportunity workplace
- Very capable fellow team members
- A culture of openness, communication, collaboration and flexibility
- Beautifully designed, tranquil offices right in the heart of Auckland
You Must Be In Auckland For The Interview:
We require applicants to be in Auckland for the interview process. Candidates that progress may be asked to agree to a police background check, credit history check, other assessments and provide evidence of qualifications.
You Must Provide A Cover Letter:
We receive and read many job applications every week, and one component we value very highly is your cover letter. We cannot progress your application without one. This is your chance to tell us more about who you are, what you value, and why you care about your work. Instead of bland and cliche-filled, we value authentic and personal. This will go towards getting you to the next stage.
Learn more about working for Propellerhead in this comprehensive blog post.
Learn more about our company here.
All other current listings are available on propellerhead.workable.com